Tuesday 21 May 2013

Smile Like You Mean It.

Lately, for no particular reason, I've caught myself out. I've been getting on with whatever task I'd decided needed to be done, then for a moment, stopped. Interrupted myself, as it were. Looked up, caught my reflection in a mirror, or a car window, or a spoon, and realised I was doing it again. Smiling. No, scratch that, grinning. Maybe just because it was sunny, or because I'd got out on the right side of bed, or simply because I received a text that gave me a reason to be happy. No one close to me would admit it out loud, but I've got the tendency to be a miserable, pessimistic bitch when it suits me, or sometimes when it doesn't. It's not intentional. I tell myself I'm a realist, but really I'm not. I'm a wary optimist, with a hint of naivety and a few spoonfuls of sweet enthusiasm. I like to be happy. You're thinking, who doesn't, right? Well, this for me, is quite an achievement. I'm not saying I spend the majority of my waking hours with a down-turned facial expression, as this isn't true, but when I'm happy, you'll know about it. I flash an over-sized grin, I even walk with a spring in my step, and I'm just altogether a better, more upbeat person when I'm wearing my best smile. It seems like it's my best accessory lately, and I secretly think I know the reason. I guess I have to be careful. Smiles fade as quickly as they appear. Maybe this one will last. I hope.

"Only the insane equate pain with success."



No comments:

Post a Comment