Tuesday 21 May 2013

If life had a soundtrack...

Sometimes, there's nothing better than putting on your headphones and just disappearing .

I really do think your music tastes are influenced by the date you were born. That much is kind of obvious. However, I've always thought I was born too late, when in fact, I was three months premature. I'd have loved to experience life before the 90's, the crazy lifestyle, not having a care in the world, and experiencing some of the best artists of the century. The old ones, as they say, truly are the best. I got to wondering, in my nocturnal hours the other night, the day I was born, what was OUT and what was IN. What was I born into, in terms of music?

Nowadays, luckily for this post, I had the help of Google to find out what I really wanted to know. In the eighteen years of my life, how has the music changed? What were the hits? Which do you remember, and which do you hate?

October 1st 1993, was a Friday. The day I was born. So, while I was coming into the world, what were the rest of you singing to? Here's 18 years of number one's, on the day I was born.

1993: Boom! Shake the Room- Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
1994: Saturday Night- Whigfield
1995: Fairground- Simply Red
1996: Breakfast At Tiffany's- Deep Blue Something
1997: Candle In The Wind- Elton John
1998: Rollercoaster- B*witched
1999: Blue (Da Ba Dee) -Eiffel 65
2000: Against All Odds- Mariah Carey and Westlife
2001: Can't Get You Out Of My Head- Kylie Minogue
2002: The Long and Winding Road/Suspicious Minds- Gareth Gates and Will Young
2003: Where Is The Love? - Black Eyed Peas
2004: Call On Me- Eric Prydz
2005: Don't Cha- Pussycat Dolls featuring Busta Rhymes
2006: I Don't Feel Like Dancin' - Scissor Sisters
2007: About You Now- Sugababes
2008: Sex On Fire- Kings Of Leon
2009: Break Your Heart - Taio Cruz
2010: Just The Way You Are- Bruno Mars
2011: No Regrets- Dappy
2012: Gangnam Style- Psy

Eighteen years of music, that has evidently changed an awful lot. Fresh Prince, everybody's guilty pleasure. Most of the songs, I loved at one time or another. Simply Red never gets old, Eric Prydz 'Call On Me' was the soundtrack to my younger years, especially a very specific flashback to school discos and all of the lads thinking they were dancing to the most obscene song ever. Breakfast At Tiffany's is still one of my favourite songs, while I always kind of hated the Kylie and Mariah Carey phases. A lot of dancing tunes, but I guess that's what the 90's were all about. Some of these, obviously were re-releases or lucky to ever reach number one, while others, everyone knows the words to (and in some cases, the dance moves.)

In an age where music seems to be churned out at record-breaking speeds, is it deteriorating  or will Gangnam Style have some special significance in twenty years, just like Whigfield's Saturday Night? I guess only time will tell, so until then, I guess all we can do is, raise our glasses and revel in whatever's playing, because eventually, the music stops.


No comments:

Post a Comment