Saturday 21 September 2013

Book #6: Reckless.


Its taken me months to finish this book, despite it only being 100-ish pages, so technically it's a novella. Hint: that's not a good sign. It's not like i've been stupidly busy or just concentrating on my never-ending list of course books, although I have. It was one of the first books I put on my kindle, and yet not one I was eager to finish. 

I have to admit, I'm not about to applaud Allison Brennan's efforts. Reckless, in my opinion, doesn't live up to its name. I finally read it's closing pages today and sighed with relief, rather than sadness. I can't put into words how much I didn't click with this book. A crime novel, i suppose, and yet I didn't find myself excited throughout it at all. The third person narrating style made the plot appear childish and impersonal, and the short, sharp sentences that were for tension building failed miserably. I found he basic plot like hugely exaggerated and the characters themselves seemed to lack any real personality, instead the story focused on the deemed "exciting" action. A book that received some rave reviews, yet I won't be gushing about it any time in the near (or far) future. A New York Times bestseller, by a supposedly well-recognised author, who I have to admit was a stranger to me. I haven't read that many crime novels, yet this may be my least favourite. Or perhaps I'm used to reading really shocking literature so this fell short of my sky-high expectations. 

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't incredibly bored throughout this book, as it lacked the structure I longed for. With every new page or chapter, I got myself hoping for a plot twist or some sort of extenuating circumstance that would surprise readers, but no. This book didn't affect me at all, in fact, I probably wouldn't have even bothered finishing it if it wasn't for the fact is already made this list and sworn I'd complete it no matter what. Short but definitely not sweet. Sorry, Allison Brennan, but I just didn't get it. I wasn't thrilled, intrigued or hooked from the moment I started the book, nor was I drawn in gradually. A novel, I'm sorry to say, I feel like I wasted so many unnecessary hours slaving over. I'm not gonna be by the sidelines cheering this one on any time soon. Do yourselves a favour and read something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment