Sunday 4 August 2013

Book #4: Will Grayson, Will Grayson.




The fifth and final John Green book I have read. I admit, I was dubious. Picking up this novel, I had already set it on a pretty high pedestal, and was worried it wouldn't follow suit. Thankfully, I was wrong. Will Grayson, Will Grayson follows the lives of two separate characters who share the same name, but very different lifestyles, until they miraculously, and somewhat weirdly, meet. I'm not entirely sure what I should, can or will say about this book. It left me speechless and smiling profusely.

I've said it before, and it's very likely I'll say it again, John Green is a literary genius. And I don't say that lightly. I mean, okay, I do tend to gush over books I like. But not without reason. And this time, I definitely have a reason to be gushing. Whereas I seemed to struggle to get into An Abundance of Katherines or Looking for Alaska, this one was different. While Will Grayson, Will Grayson deals with some really deep, meaningful topics, it's done so in a way that educates the reader, rather than making them feel really depressed. I mean, okay, I won't lie, it's very dark in places, but aren't all the best books? (See: We Need to Talk about Kevin.)

I mean, it depends what you're looking for in a book, I suppose. If you pick up WGWG expecting a weird mystery combined with a flowery love story, you best put it down and walk away immediately. It is not like that. At all. If you're looking for something dripping with happiness and laughter, maybe dare to read it. A very witty, very cleverly written novel. A new style from John Green, especially the dialogue. His characters are extremely loveable, especially Tiny (who you'll discover quite quickly in the book) and somewhat later, Jane. A book I never stopped laughing at, even with it's dark bits. It, I suppose, is a black comedy in a page. Very, very funny, as long as you are able to laugh at such serious topics every once in a while.

Intensely connected with society, life and difference. A book that should, not only inspire but educate it's readers. A book to open your mind, and hopefully, your heart, to everything and everyone. (In a lighter sense, obviously.) The characters are very loveable, even if you hate them sometimes. Also, probably one of Green's most shocking novels. You really won't see it coming.

I don't want to give too much away, so I think I'll leave it there. Pick it up, ignore the blurb, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Oh, and you'll probably, like me, wish you'd written it.

No comments:

Post a Comment