Friday 12 April 2013

Gatsby, the greatest love of all.

Words cannot describe how excited I am that, in a mere month or so, I'll get to see something I've been waiting for for what seems like a lifetime, and is, in fact, almost two years. Studying The Great Gatsby at AS Level, I have a special place in my heart reserved for Fitzgerald's masterpiece. Since the day I opened the cover, it's words have never truly left me, and I can quote an awful lot of it. Revising it for my exam was anything but a bother, as everyone seemed to love it. 

My adoration for Gatsby comes from my undying love for the brilliance of the 1920's, as well as the sheer power of Fitzgerald's writing. His works are indescribable and unless you've read them, you will not know what I truly mean. A novel that is deemed 'coming of age' and I can honestly say that there are books that will never ever, tarnish my love for such a wonderful, wonderful piece of literature. 

My dog-eared copy is merely a lime-green, Penguin Popular Classics edition, although I love it immensely. I went through a phase where I seemed to tell everyone I knew and met, all about this extraordinary man, who lead an extravagant lifestyle in America, and threw the best parties in town. A legend, as it were. The Leonardo DiCaprio of the 21st Century. Charming, beautiful and very famous. There is, obviously, no accident, in Baz Luhrmann's casting of the newly produced, The Great Gatsby, as his wonderful lead, is none other than Leo himself. I couldn't have dreamed up a better cast in my wildest dreams, as I think Carey Mulligan will put on an Oscar-winning performance, like her previous tear-jerking roles in An Education and Never Let Me Go. (If you haven't seen them, really-do!) 

It's a constant fascination to me, as to why F. Scott Fitzgerald wasn't appreciated in his lifetime, as his works are beautifully written, extremely powerful and now, a huge success. There are various references to his own life, the one he actually lead with his wife, and only true love, Zelda, which is shown through his dedication at the opening leaf of the book. It reads:


"Once again, to Zelda."

I love that. It's so romantic. Imagine that, having a novel dedicated to you. Especially a one so thrilling as Gatsby. I don't want to include a great number of spoilers, in case anyone who comes across this just happens to haven't read it (which I find slanderous by the way...so please do read it.)  A life-changing novel, a one that truly expresses that money, can't, and never will, buy happiness, and the sheer importance of seizing the day, not putting someone you love on a pedestal, and the life-long lesson that there is no such thing as too many clothes. 

Jay Gatsby, Daisy and Tom Buchanan, Nick Carraway, Jordan Baker, Myrtle and George Wilson and Meyer Wolfsheim, to name just a few of the famous characters you'll see on your screens this May. I'm so excited, and a little nervous, as I hold this novel with such high regard, that I can't help be anxious about whether or not Mr Luhrmann will pull it off. The Robert Redford version is good, but Mia Farrow kind of got on my last nerve, and although Daisy is supposed, in a way, to infuriate and astonish readers, I always had an image in my head of who Daisy B really was, and Carey Mulligan was, in my mind, born for this role. I have every faith in the cast, the direction and the production team. One of my all-time favourites, a literary masterpiece, and one I'm sure, that Mrs Fitz would've been proud to put her name to.So fingers crossed that this is going to be the greatest Gatsby film ever. I have my '20's flapper outfit at the ready.



No comments:

Post a Comment